Most of the family has tried to replicate it at one time or another, but no one can make it taste the same. She just must cook with more love than the rest of us.
G-Ma Miller's Stove Top Pot Roast
- Brown roast in 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle roast with 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
- Put seasoned roast in a dutch over.
- Add 2 cups of water and 1 bay leaf.
- Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onions.
- Simmer for 45 minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy!
After many attempts, I have a version of it that my husband and I like a lot. We have an electric stove in our apartment and a dutch oven works best with gas in my personal opinion. So, I've started making in our crock pot and I've made two changes to her original recipe. The first is that instead of 2 cups of water I use 32 oz. of Swanson Beef Broth and the second is that I cook it for 4 hours on high (add carrots, potatoes, and onions 2 1/2 hours in).
Family Recipe Friday is one of the many blogging prompts supported by www.geneabloggers.com to help genealogy bloggers record their family histories.